Deep Retrofit, Coolshannagh, Co. Monaghan
A 1970s detached property located in County Monaghan, has benefited from a deep retrofit of their home.
In 2019, this property was assessed and its BER rating was E1. The homeowner of this property wanted to improve the energy performance of their home to make it more comfortable, affordable, and sustainable.
The property underwent a deep retrofit under the SEAI’s Deep Retrofit Programme between 2019 and 2020.
The property had not undergone any building upgrades since its construction in the 1970s. The property of a solid brick structure did not have any wall insulation installed and minimal roof insulation was in place. The property had timber framed single glazed window units and doors throughout. The property was heated using an oil-fired boiler and plug in heaters in the living areas and bedrooms. The property did not have any energy efficient lighting installed and was naturally ventilated.
- All external walls of this property were insulated with 150mm Expanded Polystyrene insulation (EPS)
- The existing insulation (50mm) within the attic space was upgraded to 350mm fibreglass insulation
- The windows and doors were also replaced with A rated PVC replacements
- The oil boiler was removed and replaced with an 11kW air to water heat pump system
- Underfloor heating was installed to the ground floor and high efficiency radiators were installed to the first floor
- An eight-zone heating controller was installed with one zone for domestic hot water and seven for space heating
- Energy efficient LED lighting was installed throughout the property
- A Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation system was installed at the property to maintain high indoor air quality
This property has been transformed into a contemporary, low carbon home achieving a BER rating of A2 following completion of all energy upgrades.
The homeowner has reduced their annual energy bills from an estimated €5000 to €1400 – a 72% reduction in annual energy costs.
The SEAI Deep Retrofit Programme is now closed. The pilot programme was launched in 2017 to investigate the challenges and opportunities of deep retrofit in Ireland. For the most up to date funding support available for homeowners for specific retrofitting measures see the grants section of our website.
Estimated annual carbon savings (kg)
Estimated annual energy saving (kWh)